Friday, March 11, 2011

How to Deal


So its a new season. But something doesn't feel quite right. It's still arena football. Fast paced action. Hard hits to the wall. But it finally hit me. It's the players. Gone are Justin Allgood, Donovan Morgan, Jeff Hughley, Carlese Franklin, Odie Armstrong, Brett Rayl, Terrance Carter. They are what made we fall in love with the Talons. They were the team. The players are the reason a lot of people fall for their own team.

This summer DailyThunder had a post on this specific subject. In the post about how to get your girlfriend/wife/significant other to like the Thunder, Royce said of his wife's love of the team:

She loves the players. She doesn’t care so much about basketball per se, but she cares about the team, if that makes sense. So I would pander to that emotion. See if you can get her to connect to KD, Russ and Jeff Green. Have her watch some Broingtons videos. My wife just loves how together they are. The NBA itself isn’t necessarily a ton of fun to someone that doesn’t love basketball. But I’ll go see a movie with Harrison Ford in it even if it’s a chick flick and I know I’ll hate it, just because I’m a fan of his.


So what will season be like without me and my friends shouting "ODIE!" every time Odie makes a great run? Will touchdowns be as exciting when we can't do the spiderman webslinging hand gesture? Only time will tell. But this is still Tulsa's team. Mitch will still recruit great talent and put the best team he can on the field for the city. Oh, and Jamar will still make opposing teams laugh when trying to line up on offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment